Surface Design: Laser Cut Final.

 

Surface Design: Laser Cut Final
My favorite part about this aspect of the surface design project was getting to work with the technician and learn about how the laser cutter works. The discussion/demonstration given in class really pushed me to think about the possibilities of using the laser cutter. When it was time to print my designs I decided to print two copies one that did not have any cuts so I could see the full range of values, and one with cuts to see how this aspect of laser cutting could be used in further developing my design. I prefer the uncut version as I really appreciate the tonal range of the wood, and enjoy seeing the various layers of the design. The cut version has a unique aspect that creates a rhythm or movement, however, I did not account for the "bleed" of the lasers cuts into adjacent tonal ranges and can see some "spreading" that I would fix in the next edition. Going forward I think I want to continue researching surface design and advancing my design to be more intricate and make use of the cuts and range of value the laser offers.



Going Forward: 
The dimension of the cuts creates almost a peek-a-boo feature that I think could be developed alongside various layers and versions of the design to create a stronger sense of movement within the design. I would also enjoy using some of the techniques learned in various media arts classes to create a final laser cut piece that has various parts that actually move together as a whole to create a variety of patterns. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mile Stone Project 1Stacked Slice: Progress

OBDF 310 Milestones

OBDF 310: Animation Struggles and Triumphs.