OBDF 310 Milestones

This class has been my favorite class this semester, and offered a nice hands-on project experience that I usually do not get to enjoy in my usual graphic design and advertising courses. I was fairly comfortable with Rhino going into this class as I had just completed OBDF210 last semester, but found the addition of Grasshopper both challenging and exciting. Grasshopper has really opened my mind and spurred my creativity towards what I can create in these programs. Since the school does not offer a 400 level OBDF course I plan on investing my own time over the summer and next year to further my understanding and artistic practice using the software. 

My First Definition
This was one of my first times using Grasshopper and while I was initially a little scared to learn a new program, I am so happy I did. After completing this assignment I quickly understood the possibilities  Grasshopper open to working in 3D space. I am still very proud of what I created for my first definition, and think it shows how much I have learned in a short period of time. 

Definition 

First render 


Animation

I enjoyed creating my form for this project, but I did struggle with using the ReMap parameter. It took me a few rounds of trial and error to get a result I was happy with, and in the end this challenging project forced me to better understand the logic and style of thinking needed when using Grasshopper. 

Definition 

Animation 


Stacked Sliced Object

I really enjoyed this project and appreciated seeing how rhino and Grasshopper could work together to create a unique physical object that could still be easily manipulated in Grasshopper. My favorite part of this project was exploring the capacities of software ( relative to my current knowledge) and trying to push myself further. Getting to see the final sliced object created after the render was also helpful as it allowed me to better understand the laser cutting process and concept of tolerances and slider logic in Grasshopper. 

 Creating the surface 

 
Dividing up the surface and plotting points to indent the surface.

 The visual output of the render

 The grid creation and tagging of sliced object for laser cutting. 




 Option A

 Option B

 Side profile

 Top profile

 Front profile

Replicated/Remediated

This project was a rollercoaster. I was very excited about this project and learned lots along the way. The number one thing I learned was patience, specifically in the casting stage. I enjoyed seeing how 3D technology can be combined with traditional ceramic and sculpture methods to create really unique forms that push the boundaries of ceramics. Many of my classmates creating inspiring work, and it was nice to get to all work as a team and help each other where needed. The combination of geometric forms and print lines for the 3D printer with the traditional feel and look of ceramics was defiantly something I had never thought of combining. Next semester I aim to create more castings, and maybe repeat the entire process on my own time with a more complex form. 



 Half Render

Full Render

Match Plate

Here are some photos of the mould process.
 Here is my matchplate all ready to go!

 

 I made my first mould, which ended up not working. The material we used was not plaster and left me and another student covered in a gunky clay like mixture that we had to pull and pour out over the grates. While it did slow us down a little bit, me and my classmate giggled about for the next few days. 


 Despite the hiccup in molding materials I was still able to get my entire mould done in one day. 


Casting Process 

 

 This is the remments of my first casting. I was not pateient enough which caused the casting to split and I ended up with slip all down my arm when I opened the mould. 
 The other half of my first mould. 



 Good, not caved in cast!!

Some patient issue that caused squished walls 

I ended up firing one of the squished forms. I think that this oops in some cases actually created a more interesting form than my original. 

I still have yet to see the final fired object, but I will be sure to update my blog once I can!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mile Stone Project 1Stacked Slice: Progress

OBDF 310: Animation Struggles and Triumphs.